Tell me if this sounds familiar...
→ You've always wanted to learn how to draw but staring at a blank page feels intimidating and you don't know where to start
→ You're intrigued by brush markers and want to learn more about this amazing medium
→ You have all of these ideas and dreams of creating beautiful things but you just don't know how to get them onto paper
→ You'd like to explore your creative side but need some help making time for yourself
→ You've been enjoying our Community Art Classes replays and don't want our time together to end!
→ You wish there was someone to give you a little direction, inspire you to push past the stumbling blocks and learn how to make consistent progress
→ You're curious about what it's like to run a business as a full time artist and would love to learn more
If you answered yes to any of the statements above, this space was made for you!
The Bountiful Artist
Build Your Artistic Confidence, Nurture Your Creativity & Develop a Unique Illustration Style
within a Supportive Community of Fellow Creatives
I'm thrilled that you're here and can't wait to introduce you to my monthly illustration membership, The Bountiful Artist! This nurturing space grew organically from the Community Art Classes I hosted each week during the beginning of quarantine in 2020 and it is now a wonderful place to learn, share, and grow alongside fellow creatives.
There are already a bunch of lovely artists creating beautiful artwork, learning new skills, and working towards discovering their own personal styles inside our membership right now. And we are all so ready to welcome you to our inspiring creative community.
Give Your Creativity the Chance to Thrive
Creativity exists inside of each of us and making art is a beautiful way of celebrating it! But sometimes it's hard to get started, that blank page is intimidating. Or you pick up your pencil to start sketching and the further you go, the more discouraged you get.
That's where The Bountiful Artist steps in - a mentoring resource & community space with easy-to-absorb drawing lessons, creative challenges, behind the scenes peeks inside my full time art business, and live Q&A's that will help you make sustainable progress along your illustration journey!
A Safe Space to Grow & Share Your Work
Sharing your work with the world can be scary and intimidating. Will the internet judge me? Will anyone even notice my art? Is my work even good enough to share?
This is a safe space where you can ask questions, learn, and grow alongside other wonderfully supportive people without fear of judgement while you’re in the beginning stages of developing your point of view as an artist or illustrator.
Get Individualized Feedback & Guidance
Creativity thrives when you allow new ideas and inspiration into your space. Why go it alone, isolated, without support from others? The magic of The Bountiful Artist lives in the community.
No need to let roadblocks trip you up and keep you from creating. Having a hard time achieving a certain technique? Post about it on our Private Facebook Group & get helpful feedback.
It's one of the things that separates this membership from a traditional online course (and actually works beautifully when paired together with my in-depth online illustration classes).
What's Included in the Membership?
Each monthly session contains four modules, delivered weekly
Week 1: Guided Illustration Lesson
Week 2: Creative Challenge
Week 3: Behind-the-Scenes
Week 4: Live Q&A Critique
Guided Illustration Lessons
Each month, you'll receive an exclusive video tutorial with step-by-step instructions for creating an illustration based on a new theme.
At around an hour long, each lesson is designed to gently fit within with your existing lifestyle. Learn how to fine tune your brush marker techniques and improve your drawing skills on a variety of subjects.
Implement all that you've learned in the guided lessons and discover your point of view as an artist with creative challenges. Share your work and get feedback in our private Facebook Group!
These monthly prompts will encourage you to create new artwork beyond the guided lessons and keep you working towards developing your own unique illustration style.
Behind the Scenes
I've been an artist for as long as I can remember, but a professional artist for the past eight years. And I've learned so much along the way that can help you avoid wasted time, frustration, and money. I don't share this insider information anywhere else. This is a great way for you to see what it's like to work as a full-time artist and learn how you can pursue your own artistic goals!
You'll get exclusive peeks into how I put collections together, come up with new ideas, organize my workspace, share my work to grow my Instagram, scan my work and edit it in Photoshop, turn my artwork into products, develop healthy creative habits and so much more.
Live Q&A Meetups with Joanna
Meet up with me live once a month on Zoom and get all your questions answered! If you're having a hard time achieving a certain technique or figuring out how to draw a specific subject, this is your chance to get help working through specific trouble spots so you don't stay stuck.
Every month, members can submit their questions and work for gentle critique. I'll pick 3-4 submissions and show you how I would tackle them through mini drawing tutorials. Can't make it to the Live? Don't worry, you can ask your questions in advance and a recording of our meet up will be available to watch the following day.
We'll cover a wide range of illustration topics throughout the year so you'll get a taste of multiple subject matters.
• Home Decor
• Sweet Treats
• Fashion Figures
• Mythical Creatures
• Illustrated Scenes
...and much more! Each of these topics was specifically chosen as a way to practice a variety of illustration techniques and feel a sense of satisfaction when you've created a beautiful piece of artwork!
Want to Know Exactly What We'll Be Covering?
Get a week-by-week overview including the lessons we'll be covering, creative challenge prompts and behind-the-scenes peeks.
You'll get the chance to go beyond the monthly drawing tutorials, explore your unique point of view as an artist and see what it's like in my business as I pull back the curtain and share my experience as a full-time working artist.
I'm super excited to share a year's worth of inspiring illustration content with you. Click the button below to view our monthly syllabus and see all the wonderful things to come...
Explore the Archives
When you join, you’ll gain instant access to 34 months of existing content!
That's 34 months worth of Guided Illustration Lessons, Creative Challenges, Behind the Scenes peeks & recorded Live Q&A's for you to get started. Here are some of the topics we’ve already covered inside the membership...
What's Inside the Membership Right Now? See All the Lessons We've Covered So Far...
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Floral Bouquet (35:42)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Reference Photos (3:50)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - A Peek at My Secret Pinterest Boards (19:49)
- Replay of Live Q&A Critique on July 12th - Rendering White Flowers & Adding Depth to Bouquets (56:55)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Pina Colada (40:57)
- Creative Challenge - Combining Reference Images into Your Own Creation (2:22)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How I Utilize Reference Images (18:15)
- Replay of Live Q&A Critique on August 9th - How to Draw Ice Cubes, Garnishes & Transparency (67:57)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Summer Espadrille (45:39)
- Creative Challenge - Design Your Own Summer Sandals (2:11)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - A Peek Inside My Home Studio (5:40)
- Replay of Live Q&A Critique on September 6th - Shoe Proportions, Jewels, Flower Shapes, Drink Foam, & More (68:59)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Fashion Outfit Flat Lay (43:13)
- Creative Challenge - Style Your Own Look & Create a Composition (5:01)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - A Peek at My First Flat Lay Illustrations (24:30)
- Replay of Live Q&A Critique on October 4th - Fix Marker Streaking, Drawing Tulle, Denim & Plaids (65:12)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Decorated Pumpkin (56:44)
- Creative Challenge - Illustrate Your Own Fall Decorations to Frame (1:42)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How to Style Your Work for Photos + My Favorite Editing Apps (19:22)
- Replay of Live Q&A Critique on November 1st - Rendering Sequins, Glitter, Metallic Gold and More (63:20)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Slice of Apple Pie (35:13)
- Creative Challenge - Illustrate Your Favorite Treat 5 Different Ways (2:46)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How I Switch Between Illustration Styles
- Replay of Live Q&A on December 6th - How to Render Cupcake Wrappers, Gingerbread, Swirled Icing and More (82:37)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Drawing Dogs & Cats (89:39)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Pet Portrait + Experiment with Mixed Media (3:08)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - A Peek Into My Process - One Dog Illustration Created Two Ways (8:13)
- Replay of Live Q&A on January 10th - Drawing Cat Eyes, Dog Faces, Rendering Snow Scenes & Shading Fur (64:12)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Illustrate Sunglasses (30:51)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Illustration Concept (2:56)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How I Develop an Idea Into a Collection or a Series
- Replay of Live Q&A on April 3rd - Understanding Perspective & Illustrating an Embroidered Skirt (66:17)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Styled Dream Closet Scene (98:55)
- Creative Challenge - Design & Illustrate Your Own Scene with a Background (3:59)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How My Style Has Evolved Over the Past 6 Years (15:19)
- Replay of Live Q&A on May 2nd - Brush with Lift, Outline Practice, White Feathers, Tulle Ruffles, Lace and More (79:37)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Maintaining Joy in the Illustration Process (45:26)
- Creative Challenge - Sharing Your Work Effectively & Beautifully
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How I Grew My Instagram Following (20:25)
- Replay of Live Q&A on May 30th - Instagram Handles, Marker vs Watercolor, Micron Pen Outlines, & Metallic Gold Buckles (63:18)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw a Fancy Milkshake (55:47)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Vacation Inspired Drink
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How I Push Outside My Creative Comfort Zone (7:23)
- Replay of Live Q&A on July 25th - How to Create Textured Icing Swirls, Cotton Candy & Chocolate Drips (78:26)
- BONUS - How I Edit Photos of My Artwork in Photoshop (29:56)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Draw Embellished Ankle Boots (51:52)
- Creative Challenge - Design Your Own Patterned Shoes
- Behind the Scenes - How I Began Selling My Work (10:23)
- Replay of Live Q&A on August 29th - Sketching Hands, Floral Embroidered Dress, Transparent Gowns, Shoes, and Dark Colored Fabric (73:39)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Capturing the Fashion Week Runways (71:39)
- Creative Challenge - Illustrate Your Favorite Runway Look
- Behind the Scenes - How I Get Inspired When I'm Feeling Stuck (8:50)
- Replay of Live Q&A on September 26th - Adding Dimension to Leaves, How to Draw a Sparkly Glass Shoe & Render Shiny Satin (70:17)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Illustrate a Tufted Velvet Chair (45:37)
- Creative Challenge - Style Your Own Chair Still Live Scene
- Behind the Scenes - Ways to Make a Living as a Full Time Artist (13:06)
- Replay of Live Q&A on October 24th - Fall Background Scenes, Faces, Gathers & Shadows, Rendering Transparency (83:57)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Illustrating Sugary Candies & Holiday Treats (46:21)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Holiday Card Design (20:10)
- BTS + Creative Practice Tips - How I Prep My Shop for the Holiday Season (9:33)
- Replay of Live Q&A on November 21st - Printing Cards with Photoshop, Illustrating Balloons, Brush with Lift, and Background Flowers (77:14)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - How to Illustrate a Ginger Jar Lemon Tree (53:27)
- Creative Challenge - Design Your Own Ginger Jar Pattern
- Behind the Scenes - How I Plan for the Year & Set New Business Goals
- Replay of Live Q&A on January 23rd - Floral Cake with Metallic Shine, Perspective, & Adding Realistic Dimension to Objects (81:26)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Drawing Fashion Faces (64:12)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Makeup Face Chart
- Behind the Scenes - Turning My Illustrations Into Products (11:39)
- Replay of Live Q&A on February 20th - Rendering Complex Patterns, Illustrating the Front View of Heels, & Adding Dimension to a Pie Slice (66:13)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Drawing Statement Necklaces (56:04)
- Creative Challenge - Design Your Own Family Heirloom
- Behind the Scenes - How I Scan My Artwork (8:36)
- Replay of Live Q&A on March 20th - Rendering White Flowers, Marker Shades for White Objects, & Adjusting Details for Different Scales (36:47)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Drawing Cityscapes & Famous Landmarks (129:47)
- Creative Challenge - Use Your Own Reference Photos in a Scene
- Behind the Scenes - Creating a Strong Composition (13:52)
- Replay of Live Q&A on April 16th - Brush with Lift Feathers, Rendering Water as a Background, & Tips for More Realistic Pencil Portraits (41:27)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Drawing Printed Sundresses (38:48)
- Creative Challenge - Design Your Own Spring Inspired Outfit
- Behind the Scenes - How I Make Work-In-Progress Videos of My Art (12:54)
- Replay of Live Q&A on May 15th - Blending & Brush with Lift, Rendering Water and Plants from afar, & Illustrating a Star Print Gown (75:30)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Drawing a Secret Garden (80:20)
- Creative Challenge - Design Your Own Dream Garden
- Behind the Scenes - How I Adjust Specific Colors of My Work in Photoshop (33:00)
- Replay of Live Q&A on June 12th - Brush with Lift Basics, Illustrating a Summer Sandal, How to Make Skirts Look More Realistic, & Rendering Darker Skin Tones (62:37)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - What's in My Suitcase? (72:49)
- Creative Challenge - Pack Your Own Illustrated Suitcase
- Behind the Scenes - Ways to Keep Up with Your Sketching on the Go (11:58)
- Replay of Live Q&A on July 10th - Rendering Feathers and Fur, Tips for Using Chartpak Markers & Sketching Fashion Figure Proportions (59:18)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Sketching Different Fashion Poses (52:53)
- Creative Challenge - Thumbnail Sketch Pose Practice
- Behind the Scenes - Keep a Reference Pose Library (6:50)
- Replay of Live Q&A on September 11th - How to Prevent Marker Streaking in Pumpkins, Achieving Crisp Fashion Facial Features & Rendering Brocade Fabric (50:21)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Sketching a Room in Miniature (67:51)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Illustrated "Dollhouse"
- Behind the Scenes - Maintaining Consistent Perspective & Light in Your Work (7:58)
- Replay of Live Q&A on October 9th - Maintaining Consistent Perspective Within a Scene & Illustrating Hands from a Reference Photo (54:38)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Drawing Lace Embellished Heels (39:15)
- Creative Challenge - Design Your Own Shoe Featuring Lace Details
- Behind the Scenes - Reaching Out to Brands & Collaborating
- Replay of Live Q&A on November 6th - Shading Profile View Faces, Capturing Water Reflections, & Sketching Difficult Hand Positions (34:14)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Rendering Complex Patterns (68:04)
- Creative Challenge - Create Your Own Illustrated Pattern Quilt
- Behind the Scenes - How I Render The Same Pattern in Different Scales (47:37)
- Replay of Live Q&A on January 8th - How to Make Donuts Look More Realistic (Top & Side Views) (33:11)
- Guided Illustration Lesson - Rendering Different Hair Styles (49:19)
- Creative Challenge - Illustrate Your Own Favorite Hair Style
- Behind the Scenes - My Custom Illustration Process
- Replay of Live Q&A on February 5th - Rendering Darker Skin Tones, Tips for Fixing Skin Tone Mistakes & Purple Eye Shadow Tutorial (44:28)
- How to Illustrate a Floral Inspired Shoe (82:44)
- How to Illustrate Statement Earrings (69:41)
- How to Illustrate a Flowing Hairstyle (73:35)
- How to Illustrate a Braided Hairstyle (40:24)
- How to Illustrate Patterned Eggs (68:49)
- How to Illustrate Spring Ballet Flats (41:28)
- How to Illustrate Peonies (45:53)
- How to Illustrate a Basic Fashion Face (67:12)
- How to Illustrate Basket Bags (68:35)
- How to Illustrate a Sprinkled Cupcake (35:41)
- How to Illustrate the Iconic Quilted Bag (49:15)
- How to Illustrate a Sunflower (45:48)
- How to Illustrate a Hydrangea Bloom (50:04)
- How to Illustrate a Ginger Jar (46:56)
- How to Illustrate Tulips (77:44)
- How to Illustrate Spring Inspired Shoes (82:59)
- How to Illustrate Fancy Cakes (78:58)
- How to Illustrate a Flower Crown Bunny (71:49)
- How to Illustrate Colorful Butterflies (57:06)
- How to Illustrate Sapphire & Pearl Earrings (76:16)
- How to Illustrate a Slice of Cake (59:43)
- How to Illustrate Floral Embellished Spring Inspired Shoes (107:18)
- How to Illustrate a Ballerina Tutu (75:32)
- How to Illustrate a Crocus Flower (55:54)
- How to Illustrate a Fuzzy Duckling (46:32)
- How to Illustrate a Sprinkled Donut (64:48)
- How to Illustrate Rose Gold Glitter Heels (81:23)
- How to Illustrate a Spring Inspired Floral Wreath (64:33)
- How to Illustrate a Puppy & Butterfly (80:29)
Sounds amazing, right?
Before you dive in, let's make sure this membership community is right for you.
The Bountiful Artist is a perfect fit if you are...
→ Looking for brush marker illustration instruction that won't overwhelm and you can learn in smaller chunks over time
→ Really want to make sustainable progress in your artistic abilities and improve your technique
→ In need of fresh weekly content to keep you inspired and motivated to create
→ Looking for mentorship to help you tackle trouble spots in your own artwork
→ Feeling lost when it comes to your personal artistic style... what is it and how do you find it?
→ Longing for a creative community to share ideas, get helpful feedback, and make lasting connections
→ You'd like to keep drawing together and build on your knowledge from our Community Art Classes
→ You'd love to learn more about the business side of making art
You'll Get Instant Access to all our Community Art Class Replays!
That's over 26 additional hours of illustration instruction videos that you can watch right away! Learn everything from how to render statement earrings to colorful butterflies and a delicious slice of cake. There are a total of 27 lessons available to practice as soon as you join.
- Floral Inspired Shoe
- Braided Hairstyle
- Statement Earrings
- Spring Ballet Flats
- Decorated Easter Eggs
- Basic Fashion Face
- Flowing Hair Style
- Iconic Quilted Bag
- Sprinkled Cupcake
- Basket Bags
- Hydrangea Bloom
- Ginger Jar
- Fancy Cakes
- Flower Crown Bunny
- Butterfly Inspired Shoe
- Spring Inspired Shoe
- Ballerina Tutu
- Sapphire & Pearl Earrings
- Colorful Butterflies
- Slice of Cake
- Fuzzy Duckling
- Crocus Flower
- Sprinkled Donut
- Rose Gold Glitter Heels
Hi there, I'm Joanna!
I've had the honor of creating custom artwork for businesses and personal commissions for individual clients since launching my illustration business in 2015. I am a self represented artist and sell my illustrations on a variety of products via my online shop and in partnership with other brands through multi-national licensing agreements.
Over the past few years, I've also had the privilege of teaching students all over the world how to draw in my online illustration classes. Creating art is such a joyful process and I truly believe that it must be shared!
After creating an impromptu Community Art Class series at the beginning of the pandemic, I saw a need for a continuing illustration community, a safe place where we could all learn and grow together.
And that's how The Bountiful Artist came to be!
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is The Bountiful Artist for?
This membership is for those looking to improve their illustration skills while receiving support and guidance within a creative community. Whether you're just starting out and are new to marker illustration or you're well along on your journey but don't want to do it alone, this is the perfect place to make gentle, consistent progress over time.
What happens after I join?
You'll receive an email invitation to join the learning platform and login to the membership. There you'll gain instant access to all the existing content including ten months worth of lessons, creative challenges, behind the scenes peeks, and Q&A replays, plus all the lessons in the Drawing Demo Library as well as an invitation to join our Private Facebook Group. We'll start a new session with fresh content on March 13th.
How is this different from your online illustration courses?
This is a monthly membership for those seeking community and a place to gradually grow their skills over time. It is not an in-depth course on a single topic. If that's what you're looking for, I highly recommend taking one of my online illustration courses. That being said, if you are already enrolled in an online illustration class, this community is the perfect way to continue growing alongside or after the course material ends.
Do I need Copic Markers to make the most of class or can I use other art supplies?
All the lessons will be taught using primarily brush tip markers, colored pencil and ink. I'll be using Copic Sketch markers, but there are so many other more affordable brush tip marker brands out there that will work. You can find alternate brands outlined in the Materials List and I also recapped alternatives to Copics in this blog post. Most alcohol brush marker brands can be combined in a single illustration without too much of an issue. You can also apply many of the basic elements I teach throughout the lessons to mediums like colored pencil, pastels, watercolor, gouache, and more. You'll find that from time to time I'll utilize different materials to create unique effects.
How is the content delivered?
All the membership content will be posted on this platform hosted by Teachable, my online learning partner. Content is released Mondays at 12:00pm EST each week to provide a gradual drip of information over time and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed. You can look ahead on the Syllabus in the Introduction Module to see what themes and lessons are coming up next. If you've finished the content for the week and are looking for further learning, I suggest browsing the lessons in previous Sessions or visiting our Drawing Demo Library and practicing your techniques.
Do I need to have Facebook?
Nope! All the course content will be published in the online learning platform including replays of the Live Q&A's. However, the Private FB Group is your resource for getting questions answered more frequently and having the support of a creative community.
How often will Joanna be interacting with the community?
I'll be in our Private FB Group each week answering questions and providing feedback on work that you post. This part of the membership is where the magic happens and I'm thrilled to be apart of your progress as an artist!
Will I be billed the same amount automatically each month (or year)?
Yes! To keep things simple and easy, your method of payment will automatically process on the same day of the month (or year depending on which payment plan you chose) when you initially enrolled. Yearly subscribers will get a subscription reminder email 6 days prior to their renewal.
Will my price ever increase?
Nope! The price you pay when you join is the price you will pay for the duration of your membership. However if you should decide to leave the membership and then return, you will be subject to whatever the price is at the time that you re-enroll.
Do you have a return policy?
I offer a 30 day return policy on all online courses and memberships. If you have made a good faith effort to participate in the first 30 days after your initial enrollment and have not learned anything new, please reach out to me directly: [email protected] and I will cancel your membership and offer a full refund in the same payment form that was used. You will not be able to access membership content or participate in the private Facebook Group once your membership has been cancelled.
What is your cancellation policy after the 30 day return policy?
You may cancel at anytime, no questions asked! It's simple to do and can be done within the Teachable platform. Be sure to note the day of the month (or year) that you enrolled and cancel before your next billing date which will be the same day each month (or year). Refunds will not be given outside of the 30 day initial return policy. Please note that the price you paid when you enrolled gets locked in upon your enrollment. If you cancel your membership and then decide to return, you will be subject to whatever price the membership is at that time.